Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Corn and Kielbasa Chowder

I've been really wanting to make soups lately (I guess it must be the weather), but haven't found many recipes that I've tried yet, this Corn Chowder was wonderful though. I don't often eat corn chowder, I think because I love clam chowder so much, but Philip can't eat seafood, and really enjoys corn chowder I thought I'd try this recipe that I found on http://www.carriessweetlife.com/. I'd say it was a hit, especially since Philip has requested it be his dinner on Christmas eve. It's a tradition in my family that my mom makes clam chowder on Christmas eve, so we now have to make some corn chowder alongside that so Philip has something to eat.



This was another pretty simple recipe, with an easy ingredient list. The only thing that I changed was that I only used half an onion where it calls for 2. It worked out well but I think next time I'll use a whole onion, still not the whole 2 though.



Here comes the recipe:



Corn and Kielbasa Chowder

8 oz. kielbasa cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 onions finely chopped
1 T. butter
One 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 lg baking potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 c. half and half
1 1lb. bag corn thawed
Salt and pepper
Fresh dill for garnish (I omitted this)

Heat a deep skillet or a wide 4- to 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add the onions and butter to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
Add the broth and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the half-and-half and corn and cook, stirring, until heated through.
Using a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup chowder until smooth. Stir the puree back into the chowder along with the browned kielbasa and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Top with the dill.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

So glad you liked this! I actually am making it for dinner tonight!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks like a great and hearty soup!