Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Husband Cooks

I just need to tell you how much I love having a husband who cooks for me on occasion. I would say throughout the week that we split the cooking about evenly, although frequently he will take over the main dish and I still have to worry about the sides or making sure everything gets cleaned up. Every so often, however, like the other night he tells me to sit down with a glass of wine and banishes me from the kitchen.



The other night was one of those nights. We had this menu planned and put it off a couple nights because we didn't have time, but finally Sunday we decided we were going to have it, and he kept to his desire to fix this meal almost entirely unaided.

What he made was the Mushroom Crepe Cannelloni out of the Complete Cooking Light Cookbook. I know that there have been some issues with posting Cooking Light recipes in blogs so I'm not going to post it here, but it was an excellent meal.

I would absolutely make this meal again, although next time I think we would make the crepes ahead of time so it's not quite as time consuming, over all I think it took him close to 2 hours including the crepes. I also have to brag that I seem to be able to get Philip to eat foods that he pretends to dislike, such as mushrooms. When we picked this meal, I had looked at at in the cookbook but hadn't suggested it because I know that he's not big on mushrooms and had already agreed to one mushroom dish, but then he suggested it and I figured we might as well go for it.

It has a wonderful flavor combination with tomato, parmesan, and mushroom all balancing each other quite well. One thing that did stand out to me while we were eating is that the mushroom filling incorporates a dry white wine, we got a Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc and we decided to each have a glass with dinner, assuming it would go quite well with dinner. It was a good wine and I'd had several sips of it before I started eating, however when I had a sip after taking a couple bites of food it actually made me shiver. The wine did not pair with the food at all, it's possible that with a different wine it would be different, but this one just didn't work.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks delicious and a nice savory crepe recipe!

Vijitha said...

Looks lovely! yummy!